Our School Day
Our school opening times
Our school day is structured to ensure that all our children gain as much as possible from every day. The arrangements we have put in place help ensure that children are nurtured and supported to as they develop their independence at school. An overview of our school start and end times are provided in the tables below:
In our nursery, children are registered for either a morning or an afternoon session. Please see the session times below.
Start of the day
At Selwyn, we are committed to raising standards in achievement, attendance and punctuality. The school gates open at 08:30 every day and will close promptly at 08:40.
- Children in Y1 – Y6 can enter the school through the Main and Pawsey Close gates.
- Reception children enter through the office gate (main entrance)
- Nursery children enter through the Nursery playground gate (Crescent road)
Who should enter in the morning
- Children in Nursery, Reception and Year 1 should be accompanied to their classroom door by an adult. In Autumn 2, Y1 children will walk to their classrooms independently.
- Children in Years 3,4,5,6 walk to their classrooms alone to develop their independence.
- Any children arriving after the gates have closed must be signed into school, by an adult, at the main office.
Timetables, breaks and lunch
Children in Reception – Y6 have a set timetable that operates from 08:30 until the end of the day at 15:15. This includes the teaching of all areas of the curriculum – clicking on the Curriculum menu from the home page of the website will open a list of all our subjects and how they are taught.
- Breaks and lunch times are staggered to ensure that children are able to play with children in their year group and to provide each group with sufficient space to enjoy the playgrounds.
- Children have a 15-minute break mid-morning which take place across all of our outside spaces.
- Lunch times run between 11:30 and 13:15 with every year group having at least a 45-minute break for lunch and play.
End of the day
- School gates are opened at 15:10 Monday – Thursday and 14:00 on a Friday. Parents are asked to line up outside their child’s classroom door.
- Children in Y5 and Y6 are allowed to leave the school unaccompanied if they have been granted permission by a parent.
- Children who have not been collected by 15:15 will be taken to the school office, and their parents will be contacted.
- Any children attending an after school club should be collected from the designated classroom at 16:15.
Enrichment – after school clubs on offer
At school, we our curriculum is further enriched by our after school offerings. Details of all clubs available (which are regularly updated) can be found on the Curriculum/PE page of the website.